As a child I remember people looking at me. I loved the attention, I was always a "pill" as my sister lovingly refers to me. But sometimes when I was being looked at I was actually being stared at.
Eyes of disgust, eyes of pity, eyes questioning all focused on me. As a child I didn't fully understand why adults and kids looked at me this way. Kids were more likely to follow the looks up by vocalizing disgust "eww, yuck, What happened to her? Why does she look like that? What is on her face?" Finally the most painful and least favorite "She looks like Freddy Krueger."
My sister Cathy would catch the stares and "I know my sister is beautiful. Want a picture?" Most adults would be stunned by the comment and smile. Also leave as fast as possible.
When school started, I learned about Bullying. That damn Freddy Krueger label stick. In school the kids proclaimed "If she touches you, you will burn up and look like her" But what I always found odd was that if they poke (yep poked pre-Facebook) my scars or touched them and scream running away that would not result in them getting scars. It was only if I touched them. (Interesting)
Some say bullying is something one can get over. Rise Above. This can be partly true.
On one hand I have never allowed bullying or a bully to stand in the way of my goals or stop me from doing something.
On the other hand I have been hindered by bullies. I have not forgotten the bullies. I have seen them around town and can be stopped in my tracks just by seeing them. I don't always look people directly in the eyes unless I have already rapport with them. Thanks to a quote from Elizabeth Taylor I can seemingly look people in the eyes. At times it surprises me when people are comfortable touching me. Espcially if they are willing to hold my right hand.
So here is my stance, Bullying is bad. For those who are being bullied it can be hell and may have underlining effects. For those that are the bullys the person or persons you are attacking will never forget you, the image of yourself that you have placed in thier mind won't completely change.
Don't be a bully! Don't tolorate bullies! Speak out against bullying. If you are being bullied it does get better, you will get stronger.
Bullying is bad. Being bullied as a kid definitely has stayed with me all these years. I don't dwell on it like I did when it was happening because it just isn't part of my life on a daily basis anymore. However, after all is said and done, even after all these years, I would rather have been punched in the face than been picked on for years. At least the black eye and swelling would have gone away. The scars of hateful, hurtful, demeaning, belittling words never heal completely.
ReplyDelete