Transferring to Texas State University was a bit nerve racking. I was worried would people like me, could I find my classes, what if I got lost, Would I fit in? Normal college leavign home questions.
Worries that plagued me the most were... What would I say about my scars? How will people react to them? Would I get stared at alot? Would I get bullied? How many times would I have to to tell my story?
These question are ones that burn survivors have to deal with in any new situation. I knew how to handle myself at home in Galveston. It was easy there one it was home, two Shriner's Burns Hospital is there and three I had my established myself at home.
I was surprised and pleased to find that Texas State and most of the student body were quite execpting of me. San Marcos was execpting.
So far I have made good friends, enjoyed the school, I am part of two Student Organizations (Public Relations Officer for Non-Traditional Student Organization and Treasurer for Organization of Student Social Workers), I have done well in classes.
Yesterday I was working for the Non-Tradtional Student Organization, a girl came up to me and said "I see you everywhere on campus." So I have a memoriable face which is good.
I am Bobcat proud!
Worries that plagued me the most were... What would I say about my scars? How will people react to them? Would I get stared at alot? Would I get bullied? How many times would I have to to tell my story?
These question are ones that burn survivors have to deal with in any new situation. I knew how to handle myself at home in Galveston. It was easy there one it was home, two Shriner's Burns Hospital is there and three I had my established myself at home.
I was surprised and pleased to find that Texas State and most of the student body were quite execpting of me. San Marcos was execpting.
So far I have made good friends, enjoyed the school, I am part of two Student Organizations (Public Relations Officer for Non-Traditional Student Organization and Treasurer for Organization of Student Social Workers), I have done well in classes.
Yesterday I was working for the Non-Tradtional Student Organization, a girl came up to me and said "I see you everywhere on campus." So I have a memoriable face which is good.
I am Bobcat proud!
![]() |
| MICHELLE AND I AT TAILGATE! TXSTATE! |

No comments:
Post a Comment