Saturday, November 26, 2011

Open Letter to J.R. Martinez

Dear Mr. Martinez,

I am a burn survivor and I have been for the last 27 years of my life. After my accident my whole life changed.

I have met other survivors but there have been few role models or people to look up to. One day I was flipping through the TV channels and saw someone like me(!) on a Soap Opera.

Now you are the winner or Dancing with the Stars and one of the People's 2011 Sexist Men Alive. You will be so helpful to many young survivors that can now look and see someone like them being accepted by the nation and media.

You have been inspirational to myself. When you joked about your ear on Dancing with the Stars I was rolling on the floor. My friends and I will joke about things that others may view as insensitive but it helps in dealing with the scars.

I want to give you my deepest thank you. I would love to hear one of your Speeches. Thank you for being so brave and for not letting your scars dictate your life.

Sincerely,
Sara Mallett


Winners Karina Smirnoff and J. R. Martinez after the Season Finale of 'Dancing with the Stars' on Tuesday, November 22, 2011. (ABC/ADAM TAYLOR) (Adam Taylor)


Isn't he cute?! He will also be the Grand Marshal at the Rose Parade.

No comments:

Post a Comment