After returning to the US, I continued to stay at Sally and Joanne's house. I am not sure about the time line but at one point when Joanne was changing my my diaper, I looked up at her and said "Mama". Over the years Sally said she thought I called her mom first but I think most parents joke about that.
At this point Joanne decided to adopt me. We had family visits from a Social Worker, My future siblings and Ms. Nancy were interviewed about adding me to the family. No matter what they may say now, they all wanted me. They had time to get use to me. I talked to the social worker and the judge, I told them I wanted Joanne to be my mom.
Finally, I think it was May 31, 1983, Joanne Mallett was officially the mother of Sara Mallett (formerly Olga Sanchez). I think Mom everyday for changing my name. I think Sara was a good pick. Also when I was adopted I became a US citizen.
I was now part of a huge, funny, loud, crazy, fiercely loyal, loving family.
My Family, Sally (my other mother), Mom (Joanne); Four sisters Rachel (Same Birthday just 18 years apart), Laura, Cathy, Christy; Two brothers Richard(closest in age 13 years older than me), Albert and Ms, Nancy (our housekeeper and my Black Mama).
I am so lucky to have this family. That is part of my struggle with my accident had I never been burned, I would have never been with this family. I have worn these scars since I was tiny but as a child it was hard to understand why people didn't like me because of the scars. Sometimes I still struggle with the stares and looks of disgust.
No comments:
Post a Comment