Friday, September 9, 2011

First Things First..

Hi. my name is Sara.

 Well first things first a small disclaimer: this is my own personal story of being a Burn Survivor. My story is not the same as another persons. I am not speaking for all burn survivors. This is just about me, my life, my trials and tribulations. I will talk about anything from being a survivor to day to day junk I deal with. I may curse at times and may talk about things that are painful but this is all part of my journey. It has been an interesting trip.
 
I was born in Honduras in December 1982. Two weeks later my life changed forever. The story of my accident is what I have been told since I was little. I was asleep in  my hammock and my nephew or brother was playing with a blanket. The blanket caught fire from a candle near by. He got scared and throw the blanket.

The blanket landed on my hammock and burned my right arm, head, face, and left hand.

I don't remember any of this. I don't remember my biological mother saving me, the hospital or being sent to Shriner's Burns Hospital in Galveston, Texas.

I arrived at Shriner's and was treated by a great doctor Dr. Sally Abston. She treated me for the next year or so, she would also take me home on weekends. Who knew this would lead to my new home.

After being at Shriner's for a year I was sent back to Honduras  but I couldn't handle the food or bugs. My biological father realized that to give me a chance at life he would need to give me up. He signed over his parental rights and I was sent back to the US.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, you are very brave to share your story in such a public way. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete